This 3-day portrait and clothed figure painting workshop will emphasize working in an extended limited palette in oil for an emphasis on tone and value. Emphasis will be on the fundamentals of drawing, values and edge relationships. Instructor demonstrations the first two days. Lectures will include the construction of the human head, light and shadow and lecture on composition and painting of the figure and multiple figures in indoor and outdoor environments and creating a natural sense of depth and atmosphere.
Instructor — Warren Chang
Born and bred in Monterey, California, Warren Chang (b. 1957) graduated from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena in 1981, where he earned a B.F.A. in illustration with honors. He thrived for two decades as an award-winning illustrator in both California and New York, when he transitioned to a career as a fine artist starting in the year 2000.
Chang has become renowned for his art since his transition to fine art 12 years ago, earning many awards and honors, which include induction as a Master Signature member of the prestigious Oil Painters of America, the largest organization of oil painters in the United States. One of only 50 to receive this honor. His awards also include Best of Show awards in the Salon International in 2003 and the Raymar Contest in 2009. In addition, his work has been profiled in many publications, including the covers of American Artist and International Artists magazines accompanying his articles on instructional painting. Now based in his Monterey studio, he is an inveterate and popular teacher, currently affiliated with San Francisco’s Academy of Art University.
Required supplies for this class:
- Odorless thinner
- Paper towels or rags
- (1) toned 11” x 14” canvas (linen canvas or panel)
- (1) toned 16” x 20” to 18” x 24” canvas (linen canvas or panel)
- (Canvas’s should be pre-toned a neutral gray or brown.
- Brushes: Bristle flats or filberts ( I prefer the shorter brights) in sizes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and one larger brush in size 12-14. Various sable or synthetic sable brushes in similar sizes. I recommend the Rosemary & Company Series 274 L
- Palette knife for mixing and possibly applying paint.
- Brush jar for cleaning brushes with odorless thinner.
- Linseed oil
- Two small metal cups, one for linseed oil and the other for clean thinner.
- Recommended oil paints for extended limited palette: Utrecht, Winsor Newton or higher brands are recommended.
- Cremnitz white (Titanium OK)
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Yellow
- Cadmium Orange
- Cadmium Red
- Terra Rosa
- Burnt Sienna
- Alizarin Crimson
- Burnt Umber
- Raw Umber
- Ivory Black
- Approximately 12” x 16” wooden palette or equivalent (wood palette must be sealed)
- Note: No white paper disposable paper palettes.